Thursday, January 24, 2013

Music Review: The Icarus Account

When I see a band following me on Twitter, my mind goes 'YAY! More music!"
When I see that it's a verified account, my nerves start tingling... It probably means good music is coming my way.

That's exactly how I felt when I woke up this morning to find a follow from The Icarus Account. In all honesty, the first thing that caught my attention wasn't the fact that they were a band, but this:
Gave me a good laugh when I first saw it. From that moment on, I realized I HAD TO check The Icarus Account out!

Funny pictures aside, I was treated to this lovely acoustic band in the morning when I gave their song 'Favorite Girl' a listen.



It wasn't noisy or too upbeat that would usually piss me off in the morning (I'm usually in need for softer music when I wake up), but also, I really loved the soothing quality of the voice and music in Favorite Girl. Of course, The Icarus Account does have some other songs you should check out:







Then, when I checked out their YouTube page, I found myself pleasantly treated to the numerous covers they've made out of various hit songs by popular artistes. Some of my favorites would definitely include:









Fine, so maybe I put Payphone there because Maroon 5 stays at one of my favorite pop rock bands since FOREVER, but The Icarus Account did make a really great cover out of Payphone. I love Adam Levine's version, but The Icarus Account managed to cover it and make the song theirs. (Praise for it not being a mere copy!)
My personal favorite would definitely be their cover of The Wanted's 'Glad You Came', but nonetheless, I love how they're able to make a song their own whenever they do a cover! Covers of popular songs are usually subject to more criticism, but from the way they managed to pull it off, I'd say they're sounding as good as the actual songs in most of their covers.

If you love acoustic music and bands like Secondhand Serenade, The Icarus Account would be a band you should definitely check out.
That being said, here's what I think about them:
They probably didn't get a 5 because as much as I love what they're doing right now, I feel that they could be better if they tried branching out beyond acoustic and probably into more upbeat music? I guess I didn't give them a 5 because I would really love to hear The Icarus Account go beyond their comfort zone and try out different kinds and genres of music (because I feel that they really are talented enough to do that).
I love acoustic songs, but I know of people who prefer upbeat songs too, so maybe they'll get a bigger fanbase if they try something of that sort? (Think All Time Low or McFly?)

Either way, I still feel that The Icarus Account is a band you should and will love once you give them a shot. They have really great vocals, they're talented with the guitar... What's not to love? I'm definitely a fan of theirs. No questions asked.

PS. They have that many videos because I'm having a hard time deciding which songs I should put up here. BUT, this is merely the tip of the iceberg! Check out their YouTube for more songs!



Love The Icarus Account? Here's what you can do:
Follow them on Twitter
Like them on Facebook
Subscribe to them on YouTube
Get a FREE sampler of their songs on NoiseTrade
Buy their songs on iTunes

Want me to review your band, any other band, an album or any song?
Send me an email request at pamela.averylim@gmail.com , tweet me @PamelaAvery_ or simply follow me on Twitter @PamelaAvery_ and I'll do up a review for your band right here on my blog!
I may be starting out here on my blog, but I'd love to give any band/album/song/music the credit they deserve!

xoxo pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment