Thursday, March 7, 2013

Movie Review: Oz The Great and Powerful

I have an interview tomorrow and I really should be studying, but I seriously think everyone needs to read this review ASAP.


It's only been hours since I watched this and I can't seem to stop talking about it. I promise I'll try to give my review with as few spoilers as I can. Hahaha.

The story (starts out in black and white) revolves around Oscar Diggs, a charismatic and charming magician, whose circus made a stop in Kansas. Upon escaping a 'life-threatening' danger in a hot air balloon, he finds himself thrown into a hurricane where he eventually ends up in Oz.

Once in Oz, the people identified him as the prophesied 'Wizard of Oz' who would bring about peace to Oz from the Wicked Witch.

See the trailer here:


If you haven't heard of my love for Disney films, well, now you know. My love for Disney aside, Oz The Great and Powerful kept me on the edge of my seat with its witty lines and unexpected scenes throughout the entire movie, and before I knew it, the movie was ending.

When it comes to specific characters, I must say the interactions between Oz and Finley the Flying Monkey has got to be my favorite. As their relationship bloomed from servant to friend, I was treated to numerous instances that left me laughing in the theater. What instances, you say? Well, you'll have to find out for yourself.

Something, or someone, that really impressed me in this movie would definitely be Mila Kunis (as Theodora). I'm gonna admit, I only knew Mila Kunis from Friends with Benefits, and it was interesting to see her take on the role of Theodora. What really got to me was Mila Kunis' acting skills. She managed to make me believe the transformation of Theodora throughout the movie, and clearly, plays her role of Theodora exceptionally well. I'm truly impressed.



Disney always has some moral that we can all learn from, and in Oz The Great and Powerful, I'd say I learnt that sometimes, pretending to be someone you're not isn't going to be the best choice you make. That sometimes, being yourself is the ONE thing that will let you make that difference you want to make in the world. It's that ONE THING to allow you to do what you want to do for others.

AND, men should never leave a woman scorned. NEVER. (Watch it and you'll see)

My take on this movie:

Firstly, this is Disney we're talking about. Secondly, the feeling I get that we should always be ourselves and not somebody else really resonates in me. It's what I just preached in my previous post, and it's what I really want to achieve for myself.

I'd say, this movie is definitely a MUST WATCH with the charming James Franco (as Oz), Mila Kunis' incredible acting skills (the rest are good too, just she stood out for me) and the crazy amount of scenes that will leave you at the edge of your seats wanting more.

xoxo pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment