Monday, February 25, 2013

Music Review: Something You Whisper

A follower on twitter (@Marlizette) recommended this band to me. I seriously love it when blog readers start recommending bands to me. Especially so when I find myself liking the band they recommend.

That's what happened when I first listened to Something You Whisper.
 
My first impression of Something You Whisper was that they're a punk rock band, but I realized they have hard rock elements in their music as well, which is really cool.

To be honest, The Greatest Hiding Places was the song that pretty much determined their standard for me. Give it a listen!



I guess my first impression came from this song. Their lead vocals, Wes Will, has this really classic punk rock voice, that I guess made me theme the band as punk until I listened closer to Something You Whisper's music.

The Greatest Hiding Places is a great blend of vocals, melody and bass. I must admit, I do want to sing along to this song after giving it a few more listens. BUT, I did think the song ended kinda abruptly. Not that it's a bad thing, but I feel a bit short-changed because I got really into the song... and it ended. LOL. Nonetheless, I still love this one.

Some other songs by Something You Whisper here:





20/20 In The 3rd is the latest single released by the band. I felt that the song definitely defined the band's direction in music - ie. Hard Rock (do correct me if I'm wrong) - and I did feel that they've matured a little since The Greatest Hiding Places.

If you like Punk, stick to The Greatest Hiding Places, but if you want to hear more, I guess 20/20 In The 3rd is something you should check out. I must say I was a bit intimidated by the rough voice in some bits of the song, but otherwise, I think this song is pretty great!

(I did find an awkward part that I THINK could be improved, but I can't find it now. Wait. I got it. It's on 1:23. I like the semi-shout - semi cos it's not exactly a shout - in 'Am I good enough for you' but I felt the transition to the next verse is a bit awkward and kinda off.) Then again, this is a TIP.

That being said, here's what I think of Something You Whisper:

 I mean, I think Something You Whisper is pretty great, and I seriously think Wes Will has this really awesome quality to his voice that makes me want to listen to more of their songs. Plus they have really good blends when it comes to melody and bass (which is absolutely important and crucial in rock music).

BUT, I think that I can't seem to find a lot of recordings/good quality versions of their music on their YouTube channel, so I'm still a bit hesitant to give them a four... Maybe when they start releasing more songs this year...

Considering the fact that they're promising more things to come in 2013, I'll definitely be watching these boys.

Like Something You Whisper? Here's what you should do:
Follow them on Twitter
Like them on Facebook
Subscribe to them on YouTube


Want me to review your band, any other band, an album or any song?
Send me an email request at pamela.averylim@gmail.com , tweet me @PamelaAvery_ or simply follow me on Twitter @PamelaAvery_ and I'll do up a review for your band right here on my blog!
I may be starting out here on my blog, but I'd love to give any band/album/song/music the credit they deserve!

xoxo pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment